Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Slacker update

So, here I am, out of the clinic and getting lazy with updates. I have to say part of the reason is that we are just kind of living life and going about our business.  The other part is Sean has a birthday coming up and we've been a little preoccupied with figuring out his presents and other party planning stuff.  I talked him out of Wonder Pets because, well, they're annoying, and the decorations have been discontinued, making it a royal pain to find them, even online.  I made his other two favorite shows that aren't Go, Diego, Go sound really cool, and he chose Sid the Science Kid.  I've decided I'm adopting that cartoon character as my third child.  He's a perfect angel, smart as a whip, and invented the "I love my mom, my mom is cool" son both my kids occasionally sing while I drive them to school.  Although, I have to say, I'm going to have to do something about the freaky purple Play-Doh hair he has going.

Anyway, so, meals have been going well overall.  We even gave the protocol a spin at a restaurant.  We took Rob's grandmother out to lunch on Sunday, and I brought Sarah's meal and all of her stuff with us.  I picked food she's usually more compliant eating in hopes of avoiding a public meltdown.  Sarah did great and her great grandmother was really pleased to see how well she's eating.  Then, the little booger wanted the cucumbers out of my salad.  I was so tickled that she was asking for regular food, I obliged.  That one still shocks me.  Sarah eating diced cucumbers.  Who knew?

We tried introducing macaroni and cheese last night.  I know I had said no to it at the clinic because we don't eat it at home, but it's so frequently offered at restaurants, it would have actually been a good thing to get her to eat.  Well, Sarah didn't like it.  We did our five-bite session and she barely got the first bite down.  The second bite was refused, and the time cap was hit.  I was okay with it and would be fine with giving up on mac and cheese, but Rob wants me to try again.  I suppose another trial won't hurt, but I have a feeling we aren't going to win this.  Honestly, it's okay with me.  I didn't ask for a kid who eats every single food on the planet when we walked out of the clinic.  I just wanted her to go up in textures and she did.

Anyway, she switched gears fine for the regular meal, so I was happy with that.  I do hope we can get some more main courses in her soon.  Right now it's either beef stew or some variety of Chef Boyardee.  Not awful, mind you, but it's kind of BORING.  I am going to try the frozen lasagna I recently bought on her the next time there's another adult in the house to help me.  She loved lasagna at the clinic, but I don't know what kind they bought.  I imagine they are a bit different across brands.

Like I said, meals are going well overall.  We do have the occasional negative behavior.  It's not that often, but usually I can figure out why.  She threw sweet potatoes the other day because she wanted pizza.  After her meal, I let her try a little and she refused.  Since we weren't doing a real meal when the pizza was offered, I let it slide.  A lot of times, she still needs prompting to take her bites because she's so into her video, she isn't focused on her meal.  Usually a prompt will do it and all is well.  Occasionally she gags on food, but it's usually from taking too big a bite and/or forgetting to move the food around in her mouth and chew it.

Today is apparently Crappy Bus Day for us.  This morning, the bus didn't come.  Or, if it did, it arrived early, waited 30 seconds at best, and then left without Sarah.  I was SO mad.  The bus always picks Sarah up at our house because she's special needs.  We were outside our house waiting from about 2-3 minutes before it's scheduled pickup time until 20 minutes after before I gave up and drove her.  Mind you, it was also a school day for Sean.  Sarah's school is on the way to Sean's, but it's not as easy as dropping her at the front door.  I have to park and walk her up because the carpool line is AWFUL.  Anyway, so I did all that, and managed to only get Sean to school a few minutes late.  Still, not really how I'd planned my morning.  I complained to the teacher and found out she'd had a substitute bus driver and will have a sub tomorrow as well.  Transportation is to tell the sub NOT to leave without Sarah tomorrow.  I think we'll be out a little early tomorrow, just to be safe.  I still can't believe they did that!  Then, she was dropped off 20 minutes late today.  UGH.

At least tonight I have absolutely no reason to even attempt to cook dinner.  Okay, anyone who knows me is well aware I don't really cook much anymore anyway, but I will admit to at least occasionally feeling guilty about it.  But, tonight, Rob is out with his boss for a meeting thing (long story, don't ask), and it's a fundraiser for Sarah's school at a pizza joint.  You can sit down and eat, but I don't think I'm risking my kids' behavior. I think we'll be carrying out.  Besides, I'm not interested in bringing all of her stuff and doing her protocol at a restaurant when I'm the only adult.  It was fine for Grandma's birthday lunch because the adults outnumbered the kids.

No comments: